There are a multitude of reasons that the Super Bowl has become the worldwide event that it has become - including the multitude of snacks available. For me, my favorite big game snack is nachos with cheese - but most Americans don't agree.
According to a report by the National Chicken Council, a whopping 1.38-billion chicken wings will be consumed Super Bowl weekend, which is up 3%, or 25-million wings, from last year. Just how many wings is that? Well, if that many wings were laid end to end it would stretch 28 times from Gillette Stadium, in Foxborough Massachusetts, where the New England Patriots play, to Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, where their competitors the LA Rams play.
But that’s not all…
- It is also 6,600 times more than the combined weight of both teams' rosters
- It is enough to circle the Earth three times
- It represents four wings for every man, woman and child in the U.S.
- It’s enough to put 640 wings on every seat in all 31 NFL stadiums
- If each wing were one second, 1.38 billion wings would be 44 years
As for how folks will be eating those wings, 59% will be dipping them in Ranch dressing (no surprise, fellow Iowans!), but other sauces are also pretty popular, including:
- Buffalo/Hot Sauce (48%)
- BBQ Sauce (48%)
- Honey Mustard (35%)
- Blue Cheese (33%)
- Teriyaki Sauce (23%)
- Sriracha (15%)
- Nothing/”eat them naked” (8%)
ONE MORE THING: When it comes to the type of wings, bone-in are still preferred over boneless (60% vs. 40%).