DES MOINES, Iowa- Des Moines Public Schools is expanding its meals program, making multiple meals available to all DMPS students during the COVID-19 closure. Meals will be distributed at 10 middle schools and a dozen apartment buildings in the state's largest school district.
Seventy-six percent the Des Moines School District's 33,000 students qualify for free and reduced lunch, so the district has taken steps to make food available to students.
Starting tomorrow, March 26, the district’s food and nutrition staff, along with DMPS employees and others who are volunteering their time, will begin distributing food at all middle school locations and almost a dozen auxiliary sites throughout the community.
Food service will include a grab-and-go lunch, breakfast for the next day, and on Fridays additional food for the weekend. DMPS is preparing 5,000 meals for the first day and will adjust accordingly to meet demand. Meals will be distributed between 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM each weekday.
U.S. Department of Agriculture grants are helping to pay for the meals. However, the district is asking for help to expand service even further. The district is asking for online donations, to help provide additional, healthy snacks.
Checks may also be sent to:
Food and Nutrition
c/o Jessica Buchheit
2100 Fleur Dr.
Des Moines, IA 50321
Middle school locations:
- Brody Middle School, 2501 Park Ave.
- Callanan Middle School, 3010 Center St.
- Goodrell Middle School, 3300 E. 29th St.
- Harding Middle School, 203 East Euclid Ave.
- Hiatt Middle School, 1430 East University Ave.
- Hoyt Middle School, 2700 East 42nd St.
- McCombs Middle School, 201 County Line Road
- Meredith Middle School, 4827 Madison Ave.
- Merrill Middle School, 5301 Grand Ave.
- Weeks Middle School, 901 East Park Ave.
In addition, DMPS will be providing student meals at the following locations:
- The Meadows, 2525 County Line Rd.
- Common Bond, 1421 Des Moines St.
- Deer Ridge, 6000 Creston Ave.
- Oakridge, 1401 Center St.
- Hickman Flats, 2400 Hickman Rd.
- The Watchman, 2723 Euclid Ave.
- Willow Park, 6514 Chaffee Rd.
- Oak View Terrance, 2901 Boston Ave.
- Melbourne, 5515 SE 14th St.
- Living Waters Fellowship, 3000 SE 22nd St.
- Woodland Park Apts., 4530 Lower Beaver Rd.
- Apartments at 2501 24th St.”
Those arriving for a meal are asked to remain in their vehicles and practice social distancing, using hand sanitizer, standing at least 6-feet apart, and stay home if they are ill.