Gardening in the Heat
Keep these things in mind when temperatures warm up....
- Water outside of the hottest part of the day - avoid afternoons to reduce evaporation
- Check the soil before you water. Wilting does not always mean dry soil. Check with you finger or trowel before you turn on the hose
- Use mulch to retain soil moisture
- Remember some plants will wilt in the heat of day and recover when the sun goes down. Check the soil before you water
- Water so moisture goes down 6 inches in the soil
- Pay special attention to woody and herbaceous plants put in the ground this year....and don't forget the plants you planted last year.