A few photos of some hibiscus in Aaron's yard this morning
Vegetable Garden Looking Good!
Aaron's small vegetable garden is really starting to produce - just like many others across Iowa!
Sweet banana peppers
a bee doing it job in a butternut squash blossom
Tomato hornworm infested with braconid wasp pupae! I am just going to let nature take its course here!
Aaron's Amorphophallus (aka Voodoo Lily) is looking very nice in the garden
This large leaf with a spotted petiole looks very tropical in the garden.
Many new offsets are growing (and need separating)
Best Tasting Tomato Contest
Be sure to enter your tomato at the Iowa State Fair. Below (and linked) are the entry guidelines.
IOWA STATE FAIR * AUGUST 9-19, 2018 * AG & HORT CROPS
BEST TASTING TOMATO - DIVISION 151
Premiums.......................................................................................................$75, 50, 25
This division is sponsored by Eileen Robb, on behalf of “Gardening Today” Newsradio 1040 WHO.
CLASS 322 Best tasting tomato, two specimens
1. This division will not require pre-entry and there will be no entry fee for it.
2. Bring the entries to the Agriculture Building, Agricultural and Horticultural Crops Department, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. on Saturday, August 11. Judging will start at 10:00 a.m. in the Agriculture Building, Stage Area.
3. The tomatoes will be judged entirely on the taste. We are looking for the best tasting, large sandwich sized tomato. Based on this, patio, cherry, grape, yellow, orange and striped tomatoes are excluded.
4. Quality - If the tomato is good enough to give to your neighbor, it is good enough for the contest. 18
5. We understand some varieties are not beauties to look at, but do have good taste.
6. Judges reserve the right to disqualify any tomatoes that do not seem fit to taste (over ripe, mushy, etc.).
7. The variety name must be on the entry tag, but will be hidden from the judges.
8. Tomato must be grown from seed that is available on the market.
Regular cohost Melissa Burdick sent us a photo of her beautiful backyard today. Enjoy!