People take melatonin for a variety of reasons, including:
- Insomnia: Melatonin is often used to treat insomnia, a sleep disorder that is characterized by difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep.
- Jet lag: Melatonin can help to adjust your body's natural sleep-wake cycle after traveling across time zones.
- Delayed sleep phase disorder: Delayed sleep phase disorder is a sleep disorder in which people naturally fall asleep and wake up later than they would like. Melatonin can help to bring your sleep schedule forward.
- Aging: As people age, their bodies produce less melatonin. This can lead to sleep problems. Melatonin supplements can help to improve sleep in older adults.
- Shift work: People who work shifts, such as night shift workers, often have difficulty sleeping during the day. Melatonin can help to improve sleep quality in shift workers.
- Migraines: Some people with migraines find that taking melatonin before bed can help to prevent migraines.
- Anxiety: Melatonin may help to reduce anxiety before surgery or other medical procedures.
That said, you need to be aware that some medical professionals are warning against taking melatonin gummies. Christine Padovan joins Jeff to discuss her concerns. Listen below: