Smoke from faulty x-ray machine evacuates Cedar Rapids clinic

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa- Nearly 300 people were evacuated from a downtown Cedar Rapids medical clinic, because of smoke in the building.

Crews were called to the Physicians Clinic of Iowa office, at 202 10th Street SE before 2 o'clock this (Tuesday) afternoon. Firefighters found smoke coming from an X-ray machine. There was no fire and no damage beyond the machine.

Patients and staff were out of the building for about an hour until crews determined the cause of the smoke. Firefighters were concerned about possible extension of fire and smoke throughout the building, including through the building’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.

Patients that were receiving critical care or treatments were allowed to remain in place and confined to certain sections of the building where fire doors and suppression systems could allow them to safely continue to receive care.

There were no injuries.

 
WHO Radio News

WHO Radio News

Iowa's largest radio news team covers the top local, state, and national stories with experience and dedication. Hear news at the top and bottom of the hour. Breaking news and severe weather, at once on AM 1040 WHO. Contact WHO Radio Newsroom:... Read more

title

Content Goes Here