(JOHNSTON, Iowa) Johnston Police have charged a former accounting clerk for the city, after an audit last year flagged $13,569 in collections that were not deposited
Teresa Osburne is charged with Theft, Fraudulent Practices, and Misconduct in Office. She turned herself into police this (Monday) morning, was charged and booked into the Polk County Jail.
The City asked for a state audit last year, after the discovery of missing funds.
The charges are as follows:
- Theft 1st Degree, a Class C Felony,
- Fraudulent Practices 1st Degree, a Class C Felony,
- Theft 2nd Degree, a Class D Felony,
- Fraudulent Practices 2nd Degree, a Class D Felony,
- Theft 5th Degree, a Simple Misdemeanor,
- Fraudulent Practices 5th Degree, a Simple Misdemeanor, and
- Felonious Misconduct in Office, a Class D Felony.
The State Audit recommend the City of Johnston improve security measures surrounding handling of City funds. These improved security procedures include reviewing controls, ensuring user names and passwords are not shared by employees when recording transactions, ensuring all disbursements are approved by City Council and documented in the meeting minutes, ensuring the petty cash fund is used for its intended purpose and any disbursements are supported with adequate documentation, and ensuring each department performs a reconciliation