Blind woman rescued from house fire Wednesday

Picture courtesy WHO-TV

Firefighters rescued a blind woman from a house fire, at a home that was supposedly vacant.

Crews were called to the 1300 block of 12th Street around 5pm.  Police reported the northern side of the home was engulfed in flame.  

Neigbors told police that two blind people lived in the home at the time.  However, Mid-American Energy told fire dispatchers that the utilities-both gas and electric-had been shut down for some time.  Mid-American did tell dispatchers that the house has a history of people who get around shutoffs to obtain utilities.

After a search of the house, a firefighter located one person in the upper area of the 1 1/2 story house. That person was taken to Iowa Methodist Medical Center.

Most of the fire was under control by 5:30pm.  The fire was still under investigation.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content