Kitchen rags started fire that destroyed Des Moines Plaza Lanes

Plaza Lanes fire December 18, 2017. Des Moines Fire Department photo

DES MOINES, Iowa - The massive fire that destroyed Plaza Lanes in December was accidental

Des Moines Fire Department Investigators with the Des Moines Police Department, and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms say self-heating kitchen rags ignited, and caused the fire.

A news release from the City of Des Moines says emergency responder, eyewitness, employee and owner interviews, plus analysis of evidence from the wreckage of the building led inspectors to determine the fire was accidental.

The fire started in the early morning hours of December 18th, 2017 and the inferno consumed the building at 2701 Douglas Avenue.  

The owners of Plaza Lanes tell WHO TV Channel 13 they plan to rebuild.

December 18, 2017 Photo Des Moines Fire Department
Plaza Lanes, 2701 Douglas Ave, Des Moines, IA Photo Des Moines Fire Department

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content