CHARITON, Iowa -- A gas leak at a home in Chariton led to a lock-down at the city's schools until late last evening.
Several law enforcement and emergency personnel were on the scene near Van Allen Elementary School in the 700 block of North 13th Street.
Schools dismissed for the day at 1:40 pm but students were still being kept inside until much later in the day.
Chariton Schools described a "public safety situation" that affected the city's elementary, middle and high schools.
The district said schools would have a two hour late start Thursday.
(Image courtesy of WHO-TV)