(Des Moines, Iowa) -- A lot of people are hitting the gym in the new year, but the Des Moines Public Library is offering ways to work out your brain.
The DMPL is announcing its 2021 Reading Challenge, requiring participants to read 12 books in 12 months, from 12 different genres. The 12 genres include:
- Book by an author featured in DMPL’s speaker series
- Book recommended by a librarian
- Book of short stories or essays
- A ‘classic’ you’ve always wanted to read
- A book based on it’s cover
- A book you enjoyed in school or college
- A nonfiction book about a significant historical event
- An Epistolary novel
- A book where the protagonist and author share a diverse identity
- A book not set on earth
- Book where humans are not the main characters
- Road trip book
In addition to the reading challenge, the library has other ways to learn new things in the new year. The DMPL will be offering unlimited access to its online database of arts and crafts classes.
You can find out more about the 2021 Reading Challenge, including prizes, here.
(Photo from WHO TV13)