(Ames, IA) -- Fire damaged a home at 417 12th Street in Ames today (Tuesday). A neighbor spotted the fire and called 9-1-1, no one was home at the time. Crews arrived and found a small fire in the living room, and were able to put it out quickly, and rescue a dog. The fire was determined to be accidental.
Fire Prevention Week continues through Saturday, Oct. 9. During this week, the Ames Fire Department reminds all residents to check smoke detectors monthly and to practice a fire escape plan. Checking smoke detectors will ensure they are operating correctly and provide early warning in case of a fire.