(Undated) -- Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts joined a group of Republican governors today at the U-S border with Mexico to call on the Biden Administration to take steps to tighten the border and address illegal migration. Ricketts called for President Biden to end the Catch and Release policy, saying it incentivizes people to come to the U-S illegally because there are no consequences for doing so. Ricketts also spoke about the experiences of Nebraska State Troopers who were sent to assist law enforcement at the border this summer. Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds also attended the event.
The governors were invited by Texas Governor Greg Abbott. They agreed on a policy framework which includes the following ten points.
- Continue Title 42 public health restrictions
- Fully reinstate the Migrant Protocol Protections
- Finish securing the border
- End catch and release
- Clear the judicial backlog
- Resume the deportation of all criminals
- Dedicate federal resources to eradicate human trafficking and drug trafficking
- Re-enter all agreements with our Northern Triangle partners and Mexico
- Send a clear message to potential migrants
- Deploy more federal law enforcement officers