Ames Apartment Evacuated Due To Carbon Monoxide

(Ames, IA) -- The Ames Fire Department is reminding people about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide after a scare, that forced 75-people from their apartments. Crews were called to the Union Apartment building at 27-hundred Lincoln Way Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. after CO levels were detected way above safe levels. The Ames Fire Department says a contracting crew had been operating gas-powered equipment inside on the first floor. CO levels were more than 230 part per million due to inadequate ventilation of the work area.

Crews evacuated the building and used fans to ventilate the structure. Paramedics checked out three people for possible CO poisoning. Crews gave the clear after 90-minutes later. Two businesses in the building were also impacted for a short time.

“This is a good reminder to install carbon monoxide detectors near sleeping areas and on every level of your home to provide an early warning of the presence of deadly carbon monoxide gas,” said Deputy Fire Chief Tom Hackett. "Generators, grills, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices should never be used inside your home or garage."

 The Ames Fire Department reminds residents if your carbon monoxide detector is sounding alarm or if you are suffering from some of the common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1.


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content