(Omaha, NE) -- New teachers coming into their classrooms for the first time this Fall can get free supplies from veteran educators.
The Nebraska State Education Association says all newly-hired educators in Omaha metro area public schools are invited to a June 15 “shopping day” where they can select needed items to take and use in their classrooms or offices. The free classroom supplies are donated by current school staff members. New educators from Bellevue, Millard, Omaha, Papillion La Vista, Ralston, and Westside public schools should click here to register to attend.
“Whether you’re new and gathering supplies for your position, or if you are a current school staff member hoping to declutter your space, our Finder’s Keeper’s event is for you,” said Robert Miller, president of the Omaha Education Association. “This has become a very popular and helpful annual event and we encourage educators to stop by for a free classroom shopping spree!”
Miller said veteran educators can still donate their new or gently used classroom supplies, décor, furniture, etc. for new hires to take to their new classrooms or offices. More information on donation guidelines, drop-off times, volunteer opportunities can be found here.
The event will be held at the Omaha Education Association office, 4202 So. 57 St., from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, June 15. Breakfast and lunch will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Gift card drawings will take place throughout the day, and you need not be present to win. New hires who join the NSEA are automatically entered for multiple $100 gift card drawings. “We received an unprecedented amount of donations last year,’ said Miller. “I want to thank all of our donors for their generosity.”
Some of the items available include:
- New/unused supplies (pens, paper, markers, spiral notebooks, glue sticks, tape, Clorox wipes, etc.)
- Curated classroom libraries & small group reading sets
- Complete Games (board games, educational games, etc.)
- Bulletin board materials (borders, posters, backing, etc.)
- Complete puzzles
- Organizing materials (stacking trays, book racks, baskets, etc.)
- Furniture (shelves, cabinets, easels, tables, etc.)
- Rugs in good condition posters
- Toys (Legos, blocks, cars, etc.)
- Student prizes/incentives
- Flexible seating options