(Omaha, NE) -- Hundreds of thousands of passengers are expected to pass through Omaha's Eppley Airfield this holiday season, and the Omaha Airport Authority is offering some travel tips.
The Winter Holiday travel period is the 21-days between Friday, December 16th through Thursday, January 5th and Eppley Airfield could expect approximately 282,000 passengers to travel through the airport during this time, based on published airline schedules. The Omaha Airport Authority says this year’s projected activity is a 5.6% increase over 2021 (267,000), and a 2.5% increase over pre-pandemic 2019 (275,000).
OAA says the projected busiest travel days are Wednesday, December 21 followed by Wednesday, December 28, Monday, December 26 and Monday, January 2. The projected lightest travel days are Sunday, December 25 followed by Saturday, December 31 and Saturday, December 24.
OAA's Holiday Travel Tips:
• Holidays usually mean more travelers will be processing through the airport. Arrive at least two hours prior to your departure to give yourself enough time to find parking, check-in, and make it through security. If you travel frequently, consider enrollment in the TSA Pre✓ program for an expedited security checkpoint process with your future travels.
• Weather can play a factor in holiday travel. Check the weather forecast at your origin and destination along with any connecting city. If there’s a chance the weather could impact your travel, check with your airline to see the effect.
• Download your airline’s smartphone app to check flight status, gate assignments, seat assignments and more. Depending on user settings, some airline apps will automatically notify you when there has been a change to your flight’s status. You can also check flight status on your airline’s website.
• The flyOMA.com website and FlyOMA app are also useful travel resources where you can check parking rates & availability, track shuttle bus location, security checkpoint wait times and find flight information. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
• Additional travel tips can be found on the TSA’s website.