(Des Moines, IA) -- An Ankeny man is dead and a truck-driver is hospitalized after a Des Moines crash this (Friday) morning. Police say a 55-year-old truck driver from Newton suffered a medical emergency and collided with a Nissan Altima near Merle Hay Mall. Police say 50-year-old Chad Lentz of Ankeny died at the scene. The truck driver remains in critical condition.
The crash happened around 8:20 a.m. in the 38-hundred block of Merle Hay Road, north of Douglas Avenue.
The preliminary investigation, including examination of evidence at the scene and witness statements, indicates the following:
• The semi was driving northbound on Merle Hay Road.
• The Nissan Altima was driving southbound on Merle Hay Road.
• North of the intersection with Douglas Avenue, the semi left the roadway to the right.
• The semi returned to the northbound lanes, crossing over the raised median and entering the southbound lanes.
• The semi crashed into the Nissan, and continued across the southbound lanes.
• The semi left the roadway, crashed into a utility pole, and stopped.